Full Time Zookeeper
Austin Zoo is currently seeking to hire a full time zookeeper. The successful candidate for this position will provide care for multiple species. All full-time positions consist of 40 hour work weeks, varied shifts and include weekends, holidays, and occasional evening hours.
Description of Work:
- Daily observation, evaluation and care of animals and their enclosures
- Visual interpretation of animal health, condition, and behavior
- Food preparation and assessment of consumption
- Effective verbal communication and keeping extensive written records
- Performance of operant conditioning, behavioral management, and enrichment practices
- Courteous and tactful interaction with zoo visitors under a variety of circumstances
- Providing both scripted and unscripted information in an informal setting
- Establish and maintain positive, cooperative, and constructive relations with a dynamic team of fellow employees while working in a fast-paced environment
- Qualified applicants must have minimum of a four year degree and preferably two years direct animal care experience. This position is intended for an animal care professional who has mastered basic husbandry, observation, and record keeping techniques.
- The ideal candidates will be able to lift 50 pound bags of animal feed, work outdoors in the south Texas climate, and demonstrate the ability to manage their time in a fast-paced environment. They must be able to complete daily tasks with minimal direct supervision, keep detailed and accurate records and possess good oral and written communication skills, organizational skills, and the ability to work within a dynamic team.
- Preference will be given to applicants who have skills acquired through broad working experience in the care and handling of animals, to include: capture and restraint, training and enrichment, diet preparation and daily maintenance of enclosures. A proficiency in the effective use of small tools in the repair of facilities, fabrication of enrichment devices, and construction of exhibit elements is a strong plus.
How to Apply:
- Submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
- Please no phone calls or drop-ins. Selected candidates will be contacted for an initial interview.
Austin Zoo is currently looking for full-time team members. These positions cover a wide variety of tasks including but not limited to the tasks listed below and will occasionally include working holidays and evening hours.
Description of Work
- Full-time employment is 40 hours per week with occasional overtime opportunities
- Interacting with Zoo guests in an informal setting
- Providing outstanding guest relations for all Zoo patrons
- Accepting payment for admissions and merchandise
- Merchandising and stocking
- Cleaning and organizing
- Monitoring the feeding corral areas during opening hours
- Working with a dynamic team in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Energetic outgoing personality
- Must be able to deal with all guests in a courteous manner
- Preference is given to applicants with an Associate’s Degree and/or a minimum of 2 years experience in one of the following positions: retail/sales, guest relations or cash handling
- Possess basic computer skills including Word, Excel, and other programs
- Able to lift 50 pounds, demonstrate excellent time management and work outdoors
How to Apply:
- Submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
- No phone calls or drop-ins will be accepted. Selected candidates will be contacted for an initial interview.
We will begin accepting applications for our unpaid Summer Intern position on February 1st, 2018 – February 28th, 2018. Click here for more details.