1. Austin Zoo is a 501(c)(3) registered non-profit organization; we rely on private donations, gate admissions, grants and sponsorships to continue to care for the animals we have, and to be able to take in new animals that need a safe home. We do not receive any funding from the city or state. The mission of Austin Zoo is to assist animals in need through rescue, rehabilitation and education.
2. Our animals are housed in native Texas Hill Country enclosures created to fit in naturally on our grounds; they allow the animals to enjoy real grass and landscaping.
3. The zoo trails are made of crushed granite gravel. It is best to wear closed-toed, comfortable walking shoes.
4. It takes about an hour and a half to walk through the grounds and view the animals. The optional train ride is about 15 minutes long.
5. Austin Zoo does not have water fountains. You are welcome to bring your own beverages, as well as food. We also offer bottled Rainwater in our Gift Shop for purchase.
6. Strollers are available for your use free of charge on a first come, first served basis. They are located on the Education Building porch.
7. Parking is free of charge.
8. If you park in the back (bus) parking lot, follow the granite gravel trail to the Gift Shop.
9. No live animals of any kind may be brought onto Zoo grounds or left in a vehicle in the parking lot.
10. For the health of our animals, smoking is prohibited on Zoo grounds. Please return to the parking area across from the Gift Shop if you wish to smoke.
11. Animal feed to feed the goats, deer, llamas, and sheep is available for sale only in the Gift Shop for $2.50 per bag.
12. Train tickets are a separate cost and are available for sale only at the Train Depot for $2.50 per ticket. The train company accepts Mastercard, Visa, Discover, American Express and cash.
13. Zoo admission may be paid by Mastercard, Visa, Discover or cash. Checks are accepted only if prior arrangements have been made with the Zoo office.
14. No Shirt! No Shoes! No Serval!
15. If you are purchasing admission through a third party, please be sure to read all restrictions and fine print.