- 18 years of age
- U.S. citizen or current work visa, student visa or green card
- Current driver’s license or valid identification card
- Ability to volunteer at least 8 hours per month
- Have a positive attitude and strictly adhere to our policies, procedures, grooming and Guest Relations Guidelines
- Complete an online application
- Successfully complete an interview
Please note that our volunteer opportunities are primarily long-term. We invest a great deal of resources into our volunteer program and do not offer one-time/short-term community service projects. Thank you!
HOW TO APPLY
Click here to fill out our online application.
Click here to download the application. Complete and return the application to us in one of the following ways:
Mail: Austin Zoo
Attn: Volunteer Program
PO Box 91808
Austin, TX 78709
Drop your application off at our Gift Shop during regular business hours, 9:30am-5:00pm, Monday through Sunday.
We have two shifts available, seven days a week.
- 9:00am – 1:00pm
- 2:00pm – 6:00pm
- Assisting Area 3 Zookeepers in our hoof stock area. Our hoof stock includes sheep, deer, goats, llamas and many more
- Refreshing supplies in our ladies/mens restroom
- Habitat maintenance
- Walking the Zoo and picking up small pieces of trash
- Assisting in our Gift Shop
Working directly with an animal is rare.