We have a variety of fun educational programs for all age groups, from stroller to senior! For additional information or reservations, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (512) 288-1490.
A special thanks to The Austin American-Statesman for their generous grant of advertising for our Outreach and Education Programs!
We are excited to have your child join us for the third year of our summer camp! This year we are moving to full-day camps for all ages! The official camp day will begin at 9 AM and run until 4 PM Monday through Friday. There will be two topics each for 5-7 year olds, 8-10 year olds and 11-13 year olds. On the last week of summer we will offer one full-day camp Monday – Friday for 6-10 year olds called Zoolympics!
Our summer camp philosophy gets your child excited about nature and science through using Austin Zoo as an outdoor living classroom. It is an opportunity for your child to take risks, try new activities and to make new friends who have an interest in science.
Camps will be taught by experienced instructors and well-trained counselors. Your child will participate in many activities including investigating science through fun experiments, fostering their creativity through science-related arts and crafts, and learning about animals and environmental science through up close encounters. Come join us this summer for a roaring good time!
Camp Schedule and Pricing
|Date:||Camp Session & Age Range:|
|June 11-15||Jr. Zoo Crew, Ages 8-10|
|June 18-22||Junior Zookeepers, Ages 5-7|
|June 25 -29||Zookeeping 101, Ages 11-13|
|July 9-13||Zoo Safari, Ages 5-7|
|July 16-20||Eat or be Eaten, Ages 8-10|
|July 23-27||Wild Careers, Ages 11-13|
|July 30- Aug 3||Junior Zookeepers, Ages 5-7|
|Aug 6 -10||Jr. Zoo Crew, Ages 8-10|
|Aug 13 – 17||Zoolympics, Ages 6-10|
Early member registration will begin on February 19, 2018 and non-member registration will begin on February 28, 2018. Would you like to register early? Purchase a family membership to register early and receive member pricing! Click here to learn more about becoming a member!
Classes and Programs
Homeschool Nature Series
Join us for four fun-filled sessions where your child will learn about biology and participate in exciting labs!
Parents can feel free to sit in during classes or drop off children while you enjoy the zoo. Space is limited to 16 children per session! Click here to download a class flyer!
- Thursdays: 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM for ages 7-9
- Thursdays: 11:30 AM – 12:30 PM for ages 10-13
- $12.00/class (October 19 and March 22)
- $18.00/lab (November 16 and April 19)
- Sign up for all 4 classes and get $10 off!
- (non-members must also pay zoo admission. Click here for information on becoming an Austin Zoo Member.)
- October 19- What’s happening at the zoo?: Learn what the zookeepers know! Join us in this class to learn about animal classification, behavior, care, and meet some animals up-close!
- November 16- Squid Lab: Did you know a squid has its own pen and ink? Come explore the depths of the ocean with us through a squid dissection!
- March 22- Get outside!: Join us on a nature walk and learn about native species, animal tracks, and food webs. You will also get to meet some native animals up-close!
- April 19- Frog Lab: What do you and a frog have in common? Find out during this dissection lab where you will learn about a frog’s anatomy and how it is similar to your own.
- Register for the Homeschool Nature Series online!
Austin Zoo Sleuths!
Be an Austin Zoo Sleuth! Come solve our new case, “The Great Paw Print Caper!”
This free clue-based scavenger hunt is fun for the whole family. One of the animals stole the Grey Wolves’ ball, luckily they left a fresh track behind! Follow the clues to figure out which animal is the culprit and learn about animal tracks! You must visit each one and see if they can help you find where he went! Each suspect has something to say!
- Price: Free with paid admission
- Fun for all ages!
- Solve three Austin Zoo Sleuths mysteries and we’ll put your picture in our Hall of Fame!
When you arrive at Austin Zoo, ask a Gift Shop employee for an Austin Zoo Sleuths information packet!
Join us for Zoo Tots! The program is designed for a parent/guardian and a child to spend time learning together! Each month will feature a new theme. Weekly classes will focus on the monthly theme. Visit animal exhibits to get the inside scoop on their care and life history, participate in hands-on activities such as crafts or science experiments.
- When: Wednesdays
- Time: 10 AM – 11 AM
- Price: $8 for one parent/guardian and child, $4 for a second child. (Non-members must also pay zoo admission.)
- Ages & Class Size: 2-5 year olds and parent/guardians 10 pairs per class
- Meeting Location: Education Building/Events Pavilion
- Click here to download the Fall 2017-Spring 2018 Zoo Tots Schedule
- Register for Zoo Tots online!
New! Scout Programs
Reserve your custom scout workshop, meet badge or patch requirements, or just come out for a fun day of learning. All workshop pricing includes zoo admission! Click here to see a program flyer.
|Date:||1 Hour:||2 Hours:|
To reserve a scout workshop or if you have any questions call (512) 288-1490 ext. 106 or email email@example.com, a $50 deposit is required at time of booking.
Join us this holiday season to make animal treats and human sweets!
Each week we will make a special treat for some of our animals, have an animal encounter, and decorate a sugar cookie to take home! This program is designed for families with children of all ages to spend time learning and creating together. Click here to download a class flyer!
- Saturdays 9:00-11:00 AM
- $15 for a pair
- $10 for an additional person Must pre-register
- (Non-members must also pay zoo admission. Click here for information on becoming an Austin Zoo Member.)
- November 11
- December 2
- December 9
- Register for the Winter Workshop online!
Onsite School Programs &
Offsite Outreach Programs
School Programs for Field Trips
Our programs are aligned with TEKS for pre-K through fifth grade. Programs are $2 in addition to admission prices. Click here to download our informational brochure.
School Outreach Programs
Let the Zoo come to you! Traveling program options for pre-K through fifth grades are listed in the above brochure. To schedule a program, please call 512-288-1490.
Community Outreach Programs
Austin Zoo offers outreach programs for community organizations such as churches, public libraries and senior citizen facilities. Each program includes audience participation and live animals! Call or email us at (512)-288-1490 or firstname.lastname@example.org for program options and pricing.
Upcoming 2018 Programs
Let’s build some STEAM! Science, technology, engineering, art, and mathematics that is! Homeschool families are invited for a day of learning and exploration! Learning activities from partner organizations, keeper talks and a special education animal presentation will be featured! Click here to see a copy of the schedule for Homeschool Day!
This is a special event, therefore Groupon, Travel Zoo, Living Social and other similar offers or discounts aren’t valid for admission.