Spring Break Seasonal Help
March 10th-18th, 2018 – Parking Lot Attendants
Austin Zoo is looking for individuals to direct traffic and assist guests with locating parking during the nine day time frame. If you would like to apply for a position, please call 512-288-1490 and ask for Dotti.
Full Time Zookeeper
Austin Zoo is currently seeking to hire a full time zookeeper. The successful candidate for this position will provide care for multiple species. All full-time positions consist of 40 hour workweeks, varied shifts and include weekends, holidays, and occasional evening hours.
Description of Work:
- Daily observation, evaluation and care of animals and their enclosures
- Visual interpretation of animal health, condition, and behavior
- Food preparation and assessment of consumption
- Effective verbal communication and keeping extensive written records
- Performance of operant conditioning, behavioral management, and enrichment practices
- Courteous and tactful interaction with zoo visitors under a variety of circumstances
- Providing both scripted and unscripted information in an informal setting
- Establish and maintain positive, cooperative, and constructive relations with a dynamic team of fellow employees while working in a fast-paced environment
- Qualified applicants must have minimum of a four year degree and preferably two years direct animal care experience. This position is intended for an animal care professional who has mastered basic husbandry, observation, and record keeping techniques.
- Veterinary technician experience preferred.
- The ideal candidates will be able to lift 50 pound bags of animal feed, work outdoors in the south Texas climate, and demonstrate the ability to manage their time in a fast-paced environment. They must be able to complete daily tasks with minimal direct supervision, keep detailed and accurate records and possess good oral and written communication skills, organizational skills, and the ability to work within a dynamic team.
- Preference will be given to applicants who have skills acquired through broad working experience in the care and handling of animals, to include: capture and restraint, training and enrichment, diet preparation and daily maintenance of enclosures. A proficiency in the effective use of small tools in the repair of facilities, fabrication of enrichment devices, and construction of exhibit elements is a strong plus.
How to Apply:
- Submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
- Please no phone calls or drop-ins. Selected candidates will be contacted for an initial interview.